Unique 1:1 Traffic Exchange

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Clayton waits his call

Young midfielder Adam Clayton may have found opportunities limited since his arrival last summer, but there'll be no letting up in the former Manchester City youngster's attitude towards his work.
The 22-year-old will feature in the reserves again on Tuesday against Hartlepool at Elland Road and admits that he is already looking to the summer when he believes pre-season will be an important time.
Since joining from City, Adam has made just four senior appearances, all as a substitute, and he spent a period on loan at Peterborough United.
Another loan move may be on the cards before the season is out, and the youngster accepts that he has had to be patient.
"I'm still young so I'm hoping for a good pre-season and the opportunity to start the season with the squad and get in the manager's thoughts, and see where we go from there," he said.
"I think I've done okay in reserve games and worked hard. It might be that I go get some football for the final month. If it's worthwhile to me and the club it might happen, but if it isn't it won't. Whatever happens, I'll keep working hard."
Young Adam hasn't been alone in watching from the sidelines this season as Simon Grayson's side have enjoyed some good unbeaten runs in a campaign that has turned into a promotion challenge.
"I'm glad of that because if we get in the Premier League next season that's better for everyone including me," said Adam.
"There's a few of us who haven't been getting it at different times, but we're all wanting the team to go forward and if that happens I'm happy to be on the sideline. You'd rather be on the sidelines with a team that's winning rather than one that isn't."
It would be argued that Grayson's men have exceeded expectations at times this season, and Adam is quick to point firmly at one of the reasons the squad has got itself in a position where promotion is a realistic aim with eight games still to play.
"There's a great team spirit," he said. "Everyone gets on. There's good banter and it's a great set of lads. That spirit comes into play when we've been behind in games and come back and won.
"When I came I didn't think we'd be fighting for automatic, but we are and we have a chance now. We just have to stay focused and see where it takes us. If it's the Play-Offs, I'm not sure anyone would fancy coming here in the semi-finals."

No comments:

Post a Comment