Unique 1:1 Traffic Exchange

Thursday 26 May 2011

Newcastle United sign Mehdi Abeid from Lens

Newcastle United are set to sign Mehdi Abeid from Lens.Alan Pardew's side have beaten off interest from Everton and Atletico Madrid to capture the 18-year-old defensive midfielder, who is set to sign a five-year-deal at St James' Park.The 18-year-old defensive midfielder is near to joining St James’ Park on a five-year deal, having rejected interest from fellow Ligue 1 side Rennes, as well as Everton and Atletico Madrid."After eight fantastic years at Lens, I have stagnated. I needed a change of air. I am not afraid to leave for abroad," Abeid told L'Equipe."I have had contact dating back some time and I visited the facilities there [St James's Park] last week. I even trained with the reserve team."The leaders of the club told me about their plans and that they will rely on me for next season. For my part, I intend to give everything to develop in the Premier League."

The youngster revealed his decision was influenced by two key players in Newcastle's squad, one of whom formerly played in the French top flight.“I already discussed things with Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tiote and they encouraged me and welcomed my signature."

No comments:

Post a Comment