Unique 1:1 Traffic Exchange

Thursday 9 June 2011

Roberto Martinez to make a decision on his future in the next 24 hours

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan expects Roberto Martinez to make a decision on his future in the next 24 hours.Aston Villa have approached the Spaniard to take over from Gerard Houllier who resigned recently on health grounds.Martinez has emerged as the favourite of Villa owner Randy Lerner to take over at Villa Park.Whelan granted Villa permission yesterday to talk to Martinez, but expects him to stay at the DW Stadium.
"I had a good meeting with Roberto yesterday and the decision whether he is going to stay or go is entirely in his hands," Whelan told BBC Radio 5 Live. "I will support him whichever way he wants to go. "I've offered him an extension to his contract and a better contract, because his current deal is down to a year."I have asked him to make a decision and tell me and the rest of the world, and I think he will be doing that in the next 24 hours. "My gut feeling is he will stay at Wigan, but he will move in 12 or 18 months or two years, and he will go to one of the top European clubs."He added: "You have got to be realistic about it. "If someone comes in - a big club like Villa - and says 'we are going to double your wages', a lot of people would jump and say 'I am going to do that'. "Roberto is not that kind of man. He thinks long and hard. He is into football hugely and is enjoying what he is doing at Wigan. "He has learned so much and taught me so much. Together, we are a great partnership."

No comments:

Post a Comment