Sunday, 6 November 2011

Match Report Wolves 3 Wigan 1

Second-half goals from David Edwards and Stephen Ward secured a massive victory for Wolves in a bottom of the table clash with Wigan. Wolves ended their eight game run without a win at Molineux but piled on the misery for Wigan who have now lost eight matches in a row and sit bottom of the table. The sides met in the afternoon kick-off with a combined total of one point out of a possible 42 between them. Both had conceded 16 goals in their last seven games and so it was no surprise that the goal-mouth was busy from the offset. Kevin Doyle saw an early shot well saved by an in-form Ali Al-Habsi. It was not an afternoon to remember for Hugo Rodallega. The Wigan front-man suffered a confidence crisis in front of goal and missed two glorious chances to put his side ahead before Jamie O'Hara fired Mick McCarthy's side into the lead. Less than a minute after Rodallega poked wide from six-yards, Doyle's cut-back was met by O'Hara who scored his third goal of the season. The goal revived the Molineux crowd and Wolves began to play confidently before referee Lee Probert awarded Wigan a penalty before the break. Emmerson Boyce was brought down inside the box by Stephen Hunt and Ben Watson scored from his rebounded penalty after Wayne Hennessey saved his initial shot. The visitors looked the most likely to create something after the restart and Franco Di Santo saw an 18-yard strike whistle past the near post but again they were made to rue their misses. Wolves retook the lead after 55 minutes when Edwards scored from close range but only after Al-Habsi spectacularly denied Hunt and O'Hara with a superb double save. Roberto Martinez's side could count themselves unlucky to be behind but in vital games like this you have to take your chances. This is what Wolves did and Ward put daylight between the two sides from inside the box on the 66th minute. Wolves thought they had extended their lead moments later when Christophe Berra latched onto O'Hara's free-kick but his thumping header was saved by Al-Habsi in his contender for save of the season. Di Santo should have done better with 15 minutes remaining when he struck a weak shot straight at the keeper from 18-yards. Hennessey was made to work before the whistle though and he did well to deny Conor Sammon and Steve Gohouri from close range. Mohamed Diame sliced an injury time chance wide from eight-yards to round up Wigan's afternoon. No side has ever managed to stay in the Premier League after losing eight successive league games and the Latics can count themselves in real trouble at the moment. The rare Wolves win meanwhile puts them up to 13th in the table and they will be hoping this win can revive their campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment